Saturday, July 2, 2011

What's Your Heritage?


I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also. 2 Timothy 1:3-6

If you had someone in your life who taught you about God, you are blessed. Maybe it wasn't your parents. Maybe it was an Aunt or Uncle, or maybe a Grandmother, Grandfather, a Sunday school teacher or friend......Somebody who came before you thought it was important for you to know about God.

I wonder if that is going away? I can't say how many times those old hymns that I learned have come back into my mind at the most unexpected times.....have given comfort when I needed it most.

There is a reason why even hardened criminals or people who have been away from the church for many years tear up when they hear the strains of "How Great Thou Art" or "Great is thy Faithfulness." Or a Christmas carol........It is the power behind the words.

So many parents would never dream of telling their children that there is no God, and yet they live as if He doesn't exist. He doesn't figure into any of their hopes and dreams. He may be out there somewhere, yet He never comes up in conversation.....Never is He factored into any of their plans. They are unknowingly withholding the greatest most valuable thing they could ever give their children.

A Godly heritage.

If there is someone whose image popped into your mind just now, please keep them in your prayers today and every day.

And if there was someone in your life that gave you that, thank God for them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!