Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sheep watching


"Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture." Psalm 100:3

Every Spring in Arizona the shepherds bring their sheep down to graze the alfalfa fields here where it's warm. I have missed them the past year or so, but I noticed that they have been back this year. I am a sheep watcher, always have been. To me there is something so peaceful about watching a green field full of sheep. I know many people drive by and never notice, but I always want to pull the car over and watch for awhile; especially when I see the little lambs. They seem so innocent and helpless to me, totally dependant on the shepherd. In fact, their very lives depend on him.

Jesus was a sheep watcher too. Sheep were part of his culture, his world. Besides that, he created them....and us! There is a reason He compared us to sheep. I am not offended by that, though they are notoriously stubborn and not the brightest bulbs in the animal kingdom, neither am I at times! God has to tell me something over and over before I really "get it." But more than that, I know He loves me very much, and as He said, "I am the good Shepard, a good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11

Here are some interesting things about sheep you may or may not know.....

Sheep are healthy and happy when their shepherd is gentle, kind, intelligent, brave
and selfless.

Sheep require endless attention and meticulous care.

Because of the competition for status, sheep cannot lie down and rest in
contentment. However, when the shepherd is present, the sheep forget their
rivalries and stop their fighting.

When sheep go through a gate to a fresh pasture, they will often leap with delight
at the prospect of fresh feed!

Sheep are creatures of habit and will follow the same trails until they become ruts
and graze on the same pasture until grass can no longer grow there. Shepherds
must carefully choose to move their flocks from one pasture to another.

Sheep loyally follow their Shepard, and sheep are known for recognizing only the voice of their master.


I think I will pull over and watch the sheep on the way home....

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely post. I found the sheep-facts fascinating too. I pull over for sheep-in fact I wanted to do it just yesterday as I passed a new little flock near here. There was one younger sheep who was really hogging down the new grass! (Now who does THAT remind me of??!!) (me...) Love, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for the comment Debra, you made my day. I also love goats well, all animals really. The little lambs are so sweet though. My brother had a miniature goat named Ivy (after the song Maresy Doats.) She was so sweet and followed him everywhere....beware of the head butt, she would get you right in the knees!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!