Thursday, March 11, 2010

Early will I seek You....


"Let all who take refuge in You be glad. Let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, so that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with favor as with a shield." Psalm 5:11,12

"In all things that I contemplate as I am consulting You, I find no secure place for my soul except in You. And in You, I pray that what is scattered in me may be brought together, so that no part of me may be apart from You. Sometimes...when You are working within me, bringing my scattered self to You, You draw me into a state of feeling that is unlike anything I am used to...a kind of sweet delight. I know that if this spiritual state were made permanent in me it would be something not of this world, not of this life." Augustine - Confession 10

My all surrounding Father, how my soul is tempted to search for the meaning of my life in the love of others; to look for security in money and possessions; to strive for acceptance in service and good works. Now I see how these can be temptations, open doors through which my spirit slips out from within you Self in order to trust in my own strengths. I close those doors right now, and place my soul inside your tender might. Here alone with you, I draw together all my concerns...all my responsibilities....all that is broken and scattered and needy...My soul is fed and medicined with goodness from your hand!

Devotional reading by David Hazard, taken from "Early will I seek you." 40 day journey in the company of Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!