Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Heart Searching


“Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.” 2 Cor. 13: 5,6 NIV

I wonder.....is my prayer time genuinely reflecting on God or on myself and what I can get out of it? Has my offering become something self-made, something I have constructed for my own purpose? Just a good habit? Maybe this evaluation is part of the purpose of prayer, part of the process, part of the "working out of our salvation" that Paul talks about. It is good to reflect, in fact, the Bible says to do this: “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.” 2 Cor. 13: 5,6 NIV

What is the motive behind my actions? My prayer? That is what God sees, not just the words I use. Sometimes we need to go back, check our motives and start again. This is the beauty of what prayer is. Chance after chance to come and sit at His feet again. Jesus taught us....there are two things we have to do; "To ask with right motives and to ask for what aligns with His will......" 1 John 5:4,James 4:3

So I go back out and start again, with an open heart; hoping I can find the courage to walk out into the world and let Him change me, to hear and obey what He whispers during the praying. He is infinitely patient with us and is always ready to listen.

Lord, may I pray with my eyes and heart open to Your Word, for this is where I find the perfect reflection of You. Though the heart can be misleading, Your Word never is.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!