Thursday, July 26, 2012

The heart of a writer


When can you call yourself a writer?

When you simply have to write.

There was a time not so long ago when I didn't feel I was worthy to be called one, not a real one anyway.

fake, imposter, wannabe, dreamer....that was what I called myself.

But that wasn't right.

I felt others deserved the title because of the beauty of their words and the wisdom with which they were written.

I read writing that made me ache from the longing of wanting to string words together that good.

But here's the thing:

Even though the transformation from the heart to the page sometimes falls completely flat,

I still have to keep writing.
I still have to keep doing it.
Even if no one reads it.

Writing was the one thing in my life that I always started up again.
After so many other things that I had quit.
........because I was simply compelled to do it.

The words were fighting to get out and I had no choice but to set them free.

Even if I wasn't always happy with how I expressed it.

Even if I felt others did a much better job of it.

Even if I never got another comment.

Because God gave me permission.

And He takes pleasure in every word I write.

And because everytime I do it, I feel like I am the person He created me to be.

And because I simply have to.

 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

4 comments:

  1. What a delightful prayer closet you have. I always enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....Bless you Susan. From someone as creative as you, that means alot, well, even if you weren't so creative it would mean alot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please don't ever stop writing!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to worry, I won't as long as you do the same Paula :-)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!