Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Big Red


For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

I hold it to my chest, knowing what it contains……..all the mystery and words of life. I felt the power it held as I pressed it close. I would open it, but not yet.


Content in the weight of memory within, I hold it close and feel all the years behind it. It was my first real study Bible, one I bought during a Walk through the Prophets study at my church. It was the most beautiful book I had ever seen. The day I carried it home was April 19,1980.


When I first got it, I devoured it. I read it for hours. I loved the delicate rattle of the pages and the gilded edges when they caught the light of the lamp.

All these years, it has been by my side, though there were years when I left it untouched on the shelf. Even so, I knew the words of life that it contained. I had felt that lifeblood of its pulse flowing through my life. I could never deny it.

For these words are alive with the very breath and Spirit of God.

I have other versions now, but when I need to feel the hope of all that God has brought me through, the Red Bible, “Big Red” I call it, comes out. It is the best prescription I can think of for a heavy heart. It's amazing really, how I can feel better just by holding it. The words within hold the healing, the hope. I know that without cracking the cover.

It holds memory, it holds life, it holds me.

The verses highlighted in yellow, the ones I clung to when I did my first solo in church, the personal notes I scrawled in the back on special days, things I never want to forget are there.

This old friend is in me and I am in it, I feel it as I hold it close. Tears have spilled on its pages and they do now too, as I remember the times it brought me back from darkness, death. Notes of mine are co-mingled with my Mom’s from when she borrowed it. That makes it even more precious.



I think of all the promises held in the Bible, and how each and every one is true. It is the one thing we can always count on. What in the world gives us that kind of hope? In the beginning was the word……and the word was God……and even beyond eternity it will still be there.

Last year it came unglued from the spine and I had to glue it back on…….and the leather cover is more pliable with every passing year. But its still the most beautiful book on my shelf.

I am celebrating His promises today, won't you join me?

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Matthew 24:35

So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Matthew 5:18


3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! None of my Bibles are that old (then again, I'm not either lol!) But I remember the day I was given my first "real" (read: not picture) Bible. I was 8, and I thought it was the most wonderful thing I'd ever seen. I brought it straight up to my room and read Genesis in a single night.

    I still have that Bible sitting on my shelf, and just looking at it makes me smile. In the meantime my "Grown Up" Bible - the one I got after college and still use today, is finally starting to look "Lived-In". I finally have most of my "favorite" verses marked or underlined. It's finally starting to wear at the corners, and the edges of the pages have lost their shine. But it feels like home, and I can't imagine ever giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know, they just become part of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you ever decide to give old red a make-over, check our Leonard's Books. They restored mine, new cover and all. It's pricey, but if you love your Bible (the one that's transformed your heart) as much as I love mine, it's worth it. I love my new rustic goatskin cover. I plan on carrying it walking me home to Jesus!

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!