Monday, July 2, 2012

The Gift of Laughter


A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22

Have you ever seen someone sitting together in a restaurant and they look like they never ever laugh? I was blessed enough to have been raised in a household where laughter was always present. I truly believe it is one of the best gifts a parent can pass onto a child.

My Dad and I got in trouble for laughing when we weren't supposed to. My Mom used to separate us in church. Invariably we would see the same exact thing and that would start an avalanche of uncontrollable laughter. We went to a very somber Baptist church. I think they really thought laughter was a sin, and especially laughing in church.

The church I attend now, actually sometimes uses props and videos from comedians.

Sure there is plenty to be serious about these days. But there are plenty of things to laugh at as well, just look around!

My best friend and I laugh at something just about every day, though we disagree just a bit on what is funny, and I admit, my humor could be considered sick by some. I think it's funny when people fall down or trip over carpets. But only if someone doesn't get hurt. I figure if someone is doing a stunt on their own volition, then I have the right to laugh at them. Hey, I laugh when I fall down too.
Let's face it, Charlie Chaplin didn’t get to be a star because he shot out one liners, but because he fell a lot.
Humor is one of the greatest gifts God gave us. To be able to laugh at ourselves means you can shrug off the stuff that you shouldn’t waste time on, so that you can take the really big stuff that happens seriously enough to be able to get through it with grace and God’s help.
My folks have been married for 62 years are are still laughing.
I called them from work the other day and they were just coming home from having the car fixed. Instead of their Minivan they were in the old Bronco. My Mom had nothing to hold onto to get in the car so my Dad was trying to push her from behind. He was laughing, and I could hear her in the background, “just get your hands off me, I can get in just fine.” Then I heard her start to laugh. They both started laughing so hard they had to hang up.

This is why I love them, and one of the reasons they have been together so long. Young couples starting out could learn a lot from them.
Many people in the Bible laughed, and there are references about God laughing. I think Jesus must have found humor in many things on this earth. I love to think what His laughter sounded like.
Laughter is the best gift.......Share it with someone today.
Then pass it on. Counting the gifts and the promises today.......

#933-945......Laughter, birds out back in the fountain, a new artichoke, okra reaching toward sky, peace in the garden, cloudy arizona skies, watching wimbledon on a lazy morning, fresh coffee brewing, full-bodied praise, upcoming trip to see family, technology that allows face to face conversation, all my blogger friends.....

5 comments:

  1. Oh Lori, I couldn't agree more! I grew up in a family full of laughter, and it was wonderful. I STILL get in trouble for laughing at inappropriate moments (my brother and I nearly ruined my cousin's wedding a few years back), but it's so worth it, isn't it?

    Im reminded of the verse in Proverbs that says He who has a merry heart has a continual feast. Laughter is not only fun. It's fulfilling, enriching, and satisfying. If you ask me, it was one of God's best inventions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thought of your two parents laughing together --- so cute.

    I love to laugh. I crack myself up all the time, and I find so many things funny. I love our new minister -- he's young, vibrant, and funny. I adore funny.

    What a great post ---

    I amended that old adage in my classroom from -- "those who laugh last..." to "those who laugh, last."

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both.....I think there will be a lot of laughter in Heaven, no I know there will be :-) So appreciate your comments and friendship... I wish we could sit at a coffee shop and share some laughs over a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just makes me smile, that we were on the same page today.

    God laughing?

    Really... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the thunder is God laughing over a good joke one of the angels told :-)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!