Saturday, October 1, 2011

Waking up in the Desert


“But forget all that—it is nothing compared to what I am going to do.
For I am about to do something new.
See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?
I will make a pathway through the wilderness.
I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
Isaiah 43:18,19

The rest of the world is tucking in......preparing for the winter,
enjoying things like crisp mornings and the smell of woodsmoke.
And hot cider.

The bloom of color on tips of leaves,
and the anticipation watching them twirl down.......
orange frost crunch underfoot, and
Pumpkins peek out from green patch along the country road to town.

In the desert we are just waking up again.

The barbeques come back out.
We scalp summer lawn down to bare dirt.
and Home Depot sells manure by the ton
as our desert turns golf green.

But......as I hang my fall foliage indoors,
Set ceramic pumpkins here and there....
Hang my wreath of Autumn on the door
and get out the harvest flag.

The joy of fall wiggles glad in my heart.

I remember it.
Flannel shirts.....
cracking walnuts with my Mom in the garage
I cracked and we both sorted.

I remember......cool mornings
bright maple leaves against brilliant sky.
Wind that bites.
And wood piled in the driveway.

As I plant my perennials out front in the warm sun
Fall is alive in my heart.
and for some reason I can't stop singing.

Today I celebrate desert fall
Because God called it all good......
and it is.
Very good.



photos from google images

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori,
    I have always enjoyed summer here in Phoenix, but I love when it comes to an end and fall begins. Come August I am ready for the cool down. Yes, God called it all good!
    Blessings,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!