Monday, October 24, 2011

Multitudes on Monday


I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the way I have stopped physically counting. I posted gratefulness and thanksgiving, to be sure. I have said loud and long how I have remained oh so very thankful for all that God has done and has continued to do and I have......been grateful, that is. But I know now that the counting matters because each one is so important. And if you stop counting, before you know it they all run together and something is diminished.....lost in the shuffle.

It is Ann who made me realize this, in her book of One Thousand Gifts. You see, I didn't buy it right away; even though I was captivated by her blog from the first time I happened upon it. And even though I don't know her, I love her. The part of her that comes through her writing anyway........

There was one copy left at the clearance sale at Borders, and I should have bought it then. When I went back it was gone. So I bought it at Barnes and Noble at full price. I can only say that by page 14, the tears were streaming. It touched some deep place in me that no book has ever done in quite the same way. By page 27 it had paid for itself.

and I will probably buy more for friends and family. This book is not one to read casually, it's one to take when you are settling down for the night, or when you are settled and still on a rainy day, or at a corner table for one. I would keep tissues handy.

So thank you dear Ann, "without the fanciful e" for getting me to realize how important it is to keep the count alive.........

"Rejoice always,  pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good......." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-20

This is what stood out to me in this verse. I had always misread it! I had always replaced one word with another. God doesn't expect me to be thankful for all circumstances, but to be thankful in all circumstances. That changes the entire meaning. All this time I had saddled myself with a burden He never meant me to carry.

The count continues again.......thankful that someone comes to collect my trash.....shoes with good soles, shoes that fit........Never having to have my feet touch the bare ground, unless I want them to.......that I have the money to pay bills........not losing the joy of simple things, being able to pause even while frustrated or angry to say a prayer of thanks to God for His creation, fresh brewed coffee, even better, people to share it with......a brand new book......that I can let some things slide that I never would before......elderly people around me who have not lost their zest for life or their gratitude for this good earth and their part in its joys and sorrows and last but not least, recapturing my joy in numbering these blessings #700-#713

2 comments:

  1. When we're able to reach that point (thankfulness in all circumstances)what a place of peace and what a powerful testimony. For someone like me it will take a great denying of self...one step at a time right? (smile)

    Thank-you for sharing such a blessing...

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!