Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday Wonderings


If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy Spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference. A.W. Tozer

I sometimes wonder how much of what we do in the church today is just stuff. I think a lot of what goes on once we leave the building is church. The conversations we have or don't have. They way we live within the walls of our own homes. At work. I guess you could say I am preaching a sermon to myself today.

Sometimes I ask myself why the person I see in my mind, the one I want to be,  is so much different than the living breathing version of me.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if all the churches emptied out and went out into the streets on Sunday mornings like a big flash mob of love.

I wonder.

"The apostles performed many signs and wonders among the people. And all the believers used to meet together in Solomon’s Colonnade. No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people. Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number. As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by impure spirits, and all of them were healed."

2 comments:

  1. Lori, I understand your musings. It can look like the folks in church are just in a routine and have picked safe easy paths. Or worse, compromised themselves and neglected integrity entirely.

    Many of them have. So there's truth in the perception that the church is not doing its work proper work these days.

    But many Christians ARE laying their lives down -- doing dangerous and difficult things for the Kingdom of God. Most of them aren't talking about it, just quietly doing it.

    It's not the sort of thing which shows up on the evening news. The people who are compromised, who do evil, who create scandals -- these fill the airwaves and conversations in our culture.

    But God goes on quietly and faithfully doing His work through His servants. Of which, I want to be one. Let's reach for the high calling together, shall we? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra: Yes I totally agree. It almost seems like it's in vogue lately to pick out what the church does wrong as I have observed on different blogs/websites, but irregardless of that, the church is living breathing, and alive with God's Holy Spirit! God will accomplish His work through the church as you said, though it is full of imperfect people. That is the way He designed it, and even as I write this He is doing just that through many different individuals and groups. Like you and I through our writing!

    BTW, I have loved hearing about all the exciting things happening in your life lately!

    Yes, let's keep reaching for that high calling. Thank you for the encouragement :-)Lori

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!