Tuesday, September 27, 2011

And it was very good.


Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so. God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

noun /ˈnərCHər/
1.The process of caring for and encouraging the growth or development of someone or something
- the nurture of ethics and integrity

verb /ˈnərCHər/ 
1.Care for and encourage the growth or development of

I was thinking about the word and process of nuturing this morning when I went out to collect the daily offering of okra from the garden. What is it that makes this one little task so satisfying? Because I was there in the beginning. I saw the little seeds when they came in the mail. The little seedlings even had to be taken on a vacation when they first came up. They were coddled, protected, nutured.....and even so some didn't make it. That made me sad.....I had invested in them.

They had attached themselves to me in a way, or I had attached myself to them.

The ones that did make it were tenderly transferred to the ground that stood ready to recieve.......all spring and part of the summer we waited......watered......spoke encouraging words to.

Oh, the excitement when they began to grow taller and straighter......almost as if to defy the odds, their small heads reaching for the sun......soon they were strong enough to withstand the elements of wind and the pounding summer rain.

The whole process gave me a sensitivity for those who depend on their crops for survival. Those who look to the skies to study their signs and signals; who read the Farmer's Almanac and study the weather report. The heartbreak of the ruined crops. I was upset over a few little plants, but imagine someone watching their livelihood dry up?

Now as tall as me, they have been producing like crazy for the past 3 months. Sometimes I just go out there and sit. I swear you can almost watch them grow. These plants have been one of the most satisfying joys of this long hot summer.

In the beginning God created.........and then He nurtured. I am so glad He didn't stop at the creating part. I am so glad He didn't create us and back away.

Well, our work here is done......hope they make it.
He knew it wouldn't work with plants or people.

And I am so glad.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad too.

    Good word.

    Recently, one of my husband's clients gave him fresh okra. I didn't wish to fry it so I cook it with tomatoes and onions, my tongue prepared to love it. When if finished cooking and I thought it was done, the okra was like chewing on bark.

    I don't know why I told you that except that I hope your okra was better. Thanks be to God, regardless.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Harriet, I am so sorry about that. Mine is heavenly, but Okra is temperamental. I can send you a couple no fail recipes. My dear roommate is from Texas, no true Texan would ever cook it any other way than lightly seasoned, dusted with corn meal, NO flour and fried. Also, I can send you a gumbo type recipe that is not fried, but very good as well! I pray your next experience is much better than bark! You made me laugh anyway! Lori

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!