Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where we came from

“ Do not remember the former things,
Nor consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert." Isaiah  43:18,19

Yesterday I was listening to Glen Beck and he was talking about how we as a nation are in danger of forgetting where we came from, losing our ideals as a country. Those are not his words, but were the gist of what he was talking about. You hear all kinds of talk today about how America is no longer a Christian nation. We have kicked God out of every public arena possible in the name of the first Amendment, which actually was written to protect religion, not limit its expression. But that is another topic.

I don't know if we could call ourselves a Christian nation any longer, but I do know this. All over this great nation today, there are people gathering for Bible Studies, holding hands around a table, sharing their concerns about their families, work, praying over everything that is in their heart, and sharing their love for God. And not just a few. Thousands upon thousands. All through the week and not just on Sundays. They don't just call themselves Christians, they courageously live what they believe until it hurts.

This is what my relatives came to America for. They came with hope flaming in their hearts for that freedom, not only to work and make a life for themselves, but to believe and practice without fear. I like to imagine what they felt when they saw the first glimpse of Ellis Island......and our Lady Liberty. Maybe the sun was shining on her, maybe it was dark, but there is no doubt that they saw something in her that our modern eyes could never see.

My Grandmother came over from Russia and almost died on the ship when she was 6 months old. Many years later she met my Grandfather and they bought land in North Dakota. They worked from sun up to sun down. Sometimes my Grandmother took over for my Grandfather at the plow, in place of the beast of burden. And they suffered a great tragedy. Their sweet little Annie was accidentally shot by a foster child at two years of age. My dear Grandfather left the rifle out only once. I believe he took that guilt with him to the grave. When they left for California, they left their farm and all the animals, most of whom they named.

They left Annie's grave too.

When they got to California, my Grandmother's relatives didn't treat her very well. They gave her all the jobs nobody else wanted to do. When my Aunt and Uncle came, they lived in a chicken coop in back of the house. These were strong people, people of character.

They persevered, went to church, raised their families, and eventually started a successful business.
They didn't believe anyone owed them anything. They knew they would have to sacrifice to get what they wanted. They knew the importance of waiting.....patience. Personal sacrifice.

And they knew that every blessing they received came straight from the Almighty Hand of God.

It is those ideals that I feel America and many Americans are in danger of losing, and not just our youth.

Would anyone you know endure harsh treatment from relatives and live in a chicken coop now? Would I?

It is what I am pondering today.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think I know the answer to that

    .... it would be hard for me to live under such conditions.

    I live a "cush" life; want for little; need for nothing -- to have all of that taken from me --- I perhaps would be reduced to rubble.

    In that rubble, I know I would seek His face, but would I be strong enough. The answer is that I should be -- if I am truly a believer.

    When I read stories like those of your grandmother, I wonder about my own stamina, faith, and ability to persevere.

    *sigh*

    Me no likey to ponder this.

    *runs and hides*

    Great post, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am an expert at the running and hiding part. Good to have you back Harriet!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!