Friday, May 27, 2011

Congratulations Graduate!

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5,6 

Congratulations to one special graduate today.....

Cassandra: You came into our lives and hearts as a little girl with bundles of energy and giggles.......you brought us "older" folks some spark and light. A barefoot girl, you didn't like shoes much, could barely keep a pair on you....well, that part hasn't changed much! We marveled at how who loved to watch TV upside down. It seemed for awhile there, you were either running, screaming, twirling, or hanging upside down.

On one of our first introductions, we had a tea party and gave ourselves flower names. You made us laugh when you kept insisting we go back to the kitchen for real sugar, real milk, real tea. No pretending for you....I still have the picture of the three of us, you Elaine and myself, you with your pinky up and cup facing straight down.

In some ways I suppose I will always see you a bit like that, spinning around on the swing, hair flying. Making the neighbor boy sick when he tried to spin as fast as you.....Being pushed by Ivy the goat, also on the swing. I remember watching movies together and you falling asleep as I read aloud from whatever book I was reading at the time.

You passed me in height, which I realize is not saying much, me being vertically challenged the way I am. You grew into a beautiful young woman when I wasn't looking, and I want you to know I am proud of you.

Proud of your work ethic, your sensitivity to others, your giving heart.

Hold your head high tonight, and savor the moment.

Realize that these are the times that we all wish we could go back to, if we only knew then what we know now. Pick a career you have a passion for, and don't settle for anything less. When you love what you do, it won't feel like work.

I will miss seeing you walk across that stage tonight, but I know you will have the love and support of friends and family to cheer you on. We will  be cheering too, from Arizona.

Remember us when you walk those halls in college, going about your day. Pause and remember when you feel a gentle breeze, that it is my prayer touching you on the shoulder.

The best advice I could give you to carry you through to adulthood is to hold God close and keep your Bible handy. If you do that, you will be at peace whatever happens. You will make mistakes just like we all do, but you have the character to get back up and keep going. And always remember:

"Angels on your pillow.................Angels in your dreams!"
Aunt Lori

Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life." Sandra Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!