Friday, April 16, 2010

Dawn Chorus

Cactus Wren
When morning gilds the skies
my heart awakening cries:
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Alike at work and prayer,
to Jesus I repair:
May Jesus Christ be praised!

I think of singing that song in the Baptist Church where I was raised. I sometimes wish to travel back to those simpler times, where after church we would go to "Helwigs Cafe" with my Grandma and have chicken on a bun. That was her favorite thing to do on a Sunday. I don't know that she ever really heard a sermon, I remember her rattling papers out loud and looking at her watch a lot. Bless her heart, I do miss her. I guess it is easy to be nostalgic about the past because we aren't in it anymore.

As dawn colored the sky this morning I went out to pray.....the first few minutes was spent just listening to the bird chorus. There were the high trills, the repetitive calls, some sounding almost comical, in the background the low coo of the mourning dove, and the quails cry on the roof next door. It really did sound like a chorus, in fact that is what it is called!

"The dawn chorus occurs when songbirds sing at the start of a new day. This is most noticeable in spring, when the birds are either defending a breeding territory or trying to attract a mate. In a given location, it is common for different species to do their dawn singing at different times." From Wikipedia

There is even an international dawn chorus day.......I had no idea!

Help me Lord, do all I need to do today with an attitude of love, letting go of what "should be" and accepting "what is"; knowing that you will be there every step of the way.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing," Philippians 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!