Thursday, April 29, 2010

Earthen Vessels

"For we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves." 2 Corinthians 4:7

"What do you do when you are always comparing yourself with other people? What do you do when you always feel that the people you talk to, hear of, or read about are more intelligent, more skillful, more attractive, more gentle, more generous, more practical, or more contemplative that you are? What do you do when you can't get away from measuring yourself against others, always feeling that they are the real people while you are a nobody or even less than that?" Henri J. M. Nouwen, Genesee Diary

Sometimes I am surprised to know that successful people who have accomplished what I consider great things have the same feelings I have and I confess, it makes me feel better! Sometimes I feel like I have two selves, one that I concieve in my mind, the way I would like to be and react to people and things, and the real one, the one I actually see living my life. It's crazy. Sometimes being human makes you feel crazy.

I open my Bible for a sanity check, I need God's reality not my own. I read: "We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise." 2 Corinthians 10:12 and then in verse 18, "For it is not he who commends himself that is approved, but he whom the Lord commends."

Our world system is set up to disappoint us. It is a system masterminded by the enemy and will throw us into turmoil every time. There is always another who is smarter, better looking, more talented, one who does everything wrong and still gets rewarded, even one who seems be be more favored by God. But God's kingdom has knocked Satan's system off it axis for good. Everytime we try to live by that "old" system we get discouraged.

So today I bring you Good News.....you are a unique individual fashioned by God Himself and you are perfect! Nobody can do the things you do exactly the way you do them! Don't fight the Potter, praise Him for His excellent workmanship instead! He has given us the honor of placing His precious Holy Spirit in our humble vessel, this humble clay jug, filled with Heaven's light.

Forgive me, Lord for comparing myself to anyone else!

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!