Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A day in the life

 
Staying one step ahead. That is what you consistently have to do. And if you forget, it throws the whole day off. That kind of living alters your life. It's very much like having a toddler in the house, you must think of things they may get into before they do. Secure the area at all times.

You leave the washer open in the morning and ready for her soiled PJ's to go into. And you never  leave washed clothes in the washer, soiled clothes will go on top of them. Many loads had to be repeated because of that.

Check room for dirty clothes she puts back in closet.

Secure unopened mail. Put it somewhere she won't find it.

Leave phone turned down, always.

Don't leave suitcases out unless you are ready to answer 100 questions about where you are going and when.

Signs on doors, on microwave.......so many rules.

Yesterday the pacing was bad. Every time I settled down to write she would come back in the door. Or go out again. The silent close of the screen door......50 times a day. And every time, the air conditioner would click on trying to keep up with the raised temp in the house.

There used to be a zoo in my hometown that I liked going to, but I always felt sad for the coyote. He paced all day in his little cell. As a kid I wanted to set him free and live the life he was meant to live, running through fields chasing rabbits. I have never really liked zoos since.

I know Joyce must feel a bit like that coyote, and I can't imagine what it's like inside her mind. So I really try to be patient. We take her to Walmart and buy her an ice-cream and let her sit on the benches and watch people. She likes that and so far has only wandered off a few times. Security had to be called.

But yesterday I was in a hurry and just wanted to get there and back.

By the end of the day I felt like the coyote as well, so I went to the store again........I found myself whistling in the aisles.....I felt that sense of freedom that happens when you are suddenly sprung. I understand now how women with small children feel, just wanting to go.......anywhere away.

Elaine dreams of Alaska with an unlisted number.

This is our life right now. And Jesus is here with us. So it is going to be okay. Because.....

"Never will I leave you or forsake you......."



2 comments:

  1. Every time -- I mean every time I read about this, I ache for all of you. Thankfully, He is with you because no one can do all of that under her own strength.

    Many hugs today.

    I've missed reading your blog --- I'm back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Harriet, I have missed you. But I understand having your injury....what a joy to see your face at the end of the evening. Well, back to work tomorrow. Hope you are on the mend. I will be checking your blog as well friend! Blessings...Lori

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!