Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On being Born Again.....


 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” John 3:5-8

In our culture it is somewhat acceptable to be a "Christian," or "Religious," or "Church-going" and it seems everyone is "Spiritual" now. But just tell someone you are "Born-Again," and see how their expression changes. But after all, that is what Jesus said we have to do to enter His Kingdom. This term "born-again" illicits some very interesting reactions from people at times. Someone I know used to say "those born-agains." There was some derision in the tone. I think they thought we swung from the light fixtures in church.

I can't honestly say that I blame them, especially when I watch some of the "Christian" programming on TV, some of it really does make me cringe.

I will say that it was the best thing that has ever happened to me! And so far, I have never heard anyone say, "Oh, I wish I hadn't done that."

Further thoughts on John 3 tomorrow.........

3 comments:

  1. You know what I've discovered? When I'm living a born-again life fully, people are amazed. They know it's radically different to be accepted, loved, listened to, and served from the heart. It's this radical witness of love and acceptance people need so desperately, along with our readiness to give an account for our hope in God.


    Even though I know this, it's incredibly easy for me to choose to be comfortable and to live an insular life. I'm trying to change, to be bold and to be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Lori, and I do agree with you. Somehow, we do get those 'looks'. Maybe it is because people can't understand how one can be born again...just like they had trouble when Jesus spoke those words.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andie and Cassandra......Even after all these years, the conversion experience is the most miraculous thing to me, how God works through us and how we can touch others with His love..... it has never lost it's power to astound me. And Cassandra, you are right, people are just amazed when you stop and listen to them, love them like Jesus did.

    This is what the world needs!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!