Monday, January 4, 2010

Precious nuggets from Psalm 68


The other day I was considering which Psalm to put to memory (other than the 23rd) which always gives such comfort when I can't sleep. No sooner had the thought entered my mind when Psalm 68 popped into my head, and it wouldn't go away. Thinking that God must have whispered it, I looked it up. No small Psalm was this. I was hoping for a short one, but no, 35 verses in all. I thought, "God, surely You don't mean this one, knowing how long it takes me to memorize anything!" But it kept catching me unawares, Psalm 68 there in my mind again. So I have resigned myself to going at it one section at a time for now.

Here are some treasures from this Psalm that continues my count toward the thousand gifts of gratitude....

Vs.1 "Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered." So many horrific things are happening now that we cry out for justice and wonder how so many can get away with doing so many terrible things to innocent people? But not one act will escape His notice.

Vs.4 "Cast up a highway for Him who rides through the deserts, Whose name is the Lord, and exult before Him." I have always loved this passage, also found in Isaiah and familiar with those who listen to Handel's Messiah, during Christmas and Easter.

Vs.5 "A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows is God in His Holy habitation" How comforting is that?

Vs.6 "He makes a home for the lonely; He leads out the prisoners into prosperity, only the rebellious live in a parched land"

Vs.11 "The Lord gives the command; The women who proclaim the good tidings are a great host." God likes women and women like Him!

Vs.19 "Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden" You mean I don't have to???

Vs.35 "O God, Thou art awesome from Thy sanctuary. The God of Israel Himself give strength and power to the people. Blessed be God."

This makes #193 toward 1000 and beyond,
holy experience


Photo of Razorwire and Cross by Steven Crisp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!