Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Leaving a legacy


I picked up "The Christmas List" by Richard Paul Evans at the library a couple weeks ago, being a fan of his other Christmas themed books starting with "The Christmas Box" several years ago now. I was captivated by the theme. What would happen if you read your own obituary in the newspaper. That is exactly what happens to James Kier to his shock and amazement. It gets even more interesting when he starts to read all the comments of his business associates about his death. He learns how they really feel about him. I won't give the rest of the plot away, but suffice it to say, I had no problem reading it under the seven days.....

It raises some very important questions. What kind of legacy do we want to leave? What kind of legacy do you want to leave for your children? What kind of legacy does God want us to leave?

There are many things that this world considers important and noteworthy, worthy of recognition. How do those things line up with what God considers important?

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

How about this one.... James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.


I think leaving a legacy of kindness is one of the best ways that we could glorify God. Being known as kind, nothing more complicated than that.

2 comments:

  1. I like, very much, your idea of leaving a legacy of kindness.

    I simply want to be the friend who was there. But then, I know it's more complicated than that. Still it's a good exercise to sum it up in one simple idea. Kind of gives us a focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can think of those in my life who have left that particular legacy and these have touched me in far reaching ways. I never even knew my Grandfather, he died of cancer when I was 2, but everyone says he was very kind and he never turned anyone away that needed help. That speaks volumes to me! Thank you...

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!