Monday, December 7, 2009

Stillness....


As I settled into my prayer shed yesterday I received a precious gift. As I lit my lantern and settled into my chair I heard the soft pitter pat magic of rain on the roof. I don't think anyone appreciates the rain quite like those of us living in the desert. To us it does seem like a miracle. I settled into prayer and as sometimes happens, I felt the blessing of God's own Presence. Though His precious Spirit is always with me, I don't always "feel" Him. But as Pastor said yesterday, in order to sense Him, we have to make room in our lives. And so I try to. I create small pockets of silence where I can hear Him when He speaks.

Yesterday's prayer time was a gift. Sometimes, He wakes me at night and I toss and turn, wondering if He is trying to speak into my soul what I cannot hear in the clamour of daylight's activity.

This happened the other night as I was worrying at my folk's house. Worried about the state of things, and my absence, among other things, worried about how I could fix things if I were there, boy what an ego I have!

I awoke in the early hours of morning and I sensed this deep quiet in my soul. It was much like the quiet of the woods in the snow, that insulated silence. I know that I know that I know, that this was the Holy Spirit's nudge. I felt that deep peace that He was absolutely there with me. He said, "I am still here." Then I prayed, and the peace lasted. Even now it stands out in my mind these many days later.

Sometimes we get that peace, today I am grateful for the gifts of His Spirit because without Him I can do nothing.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such thing there is no law." Galatians 5:22,23

This makes 141 of my One Thousand Gifts.....As I continue sharing gratitude along with others in the community at:
holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!