Thursday, December 3, 2009

Seeking things above....



The image above is called "Sunlight on Snow," with the footings of the Granville Street Bridge in the background by Mark Hamilton, journalism instructor at Kwantlen Polytechnic University.

I was originally looking for a peaceful snowy sunrise, but this fits even more with what I wanted to capture with my thoughts today. Thoughts of my trip back home. As the out of state family member, I feel sometimes like I need to be all things to everyone when I am there, and of course I can't. I get irritated with situations and then frustrated with myself when I don't react the way I think God would want me to. It is so easy to get wrapped up and bogged down with "earthly" situations and heartache down here and forget who is in control. Moments become lost forever. The Holy Spirit spoke to my heart and said, "I am still here." I listened.

I stopped.....I prayed....I gave it back to God, and I felt my time redeemed. I had returned everything to it's rightful owner, at least for a time. Why is it sometimes so easy to "lose our religion" so to speak? After I gave it back, I started loving again. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving day spent together, eating, praying, enjoying the blessing of each other. It is fleeting, it is precious.

And over all too soon.

In looking again at the photo I have to remind myself to see not the graffiti on the bridge, but the beauty of the sunlight on the snow, and know where it comes from.

Colossians 3: 1-5 (New American Standard)
"If then ye were raised together with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated on the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are upon the earth.For ye died, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall be manifested, then shall ye also with him be manifested in glory. Put to death therefore your members which are upon the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!