Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sleepless in Arizona


"Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep." Psalm 121

I was pondering this fact early this morning when I awoke at 12:30 AM. If God does not sleep, I thought, then what does He do? He certainly doesn't need to keep the universe going. That was all set up long ago and He has no problem keeping it all running. That leaves one thing......He is watching over me as He watches over Israel. I can never catch Him by surprise. I never catch Him dozing off......Even as I toss and turn at 12:30 in the morning.

I heard the outdoor flag flapping in the wind, which had picked up. I heard my little outdoor decoration sliding back and forth on the wall. I got up and took them both down.....there was dust in the air. I came in and laid back down.......All was quiet except the cat snoring, fast asleep in his place on the bed.

After I determined that sleep wasn't soon to come, I burrowed through my pile of books by the bed until I found "Big Red." It is the Bible I always turn to when I need a special comfort. It has years in it. It holds them all lovingly in its pages. I turned to my notes in the back......notes from sermons, studies, things I have thought and read. My eyes fell on this printed in red:

Know how to meditate on the Lord. What do I do when I can't sleep? Do I quiet my soul and spirit with meditation on God or do I run for a sleeping pill? What am I to meditate on?

God's word........God's promises........the person of God

I continued thumbing through and thought about the years held there in those pages. It's about 34 years old now. I listened to the rustle of the pages and something about it quieted my spirit. I noted the changes in my printing style over the years, sometimes slanting left, sometimes right. Some of the notes are faded with time.

Most important are the words it holds. God's words to me, to all of us.

I turned out the light and rested my old friend on my chest and felt its weight and it felt good. I thought of all that precious book and God have brought me through. Saved my life more than a few times. Maybe more times than I know. I couldn't help it, a few tears of gratitude slid down, and I thanked Him. My heart slowed its beating.......my spirit calmed. Outside, the wind may have been blowing, but I no longer heard it.
I drifted into a peaceful slumber at 2:00 AM.

At times like that I think that maybe God just missed me and wanted my undivided attention.

5 comments:

  1. Understand this so well! Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way better to meditate on God that run for a sleeping pill. Jesus say's "come to me...and I will give you rest.
    God bless,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a tender post Lori,
    I agree with what you said at the end..God misses us. I love that idea, and I never thought about it that way before!
    Peace & Blessings In Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lori, I love how you put this! I so agree and now I will remember your words on my sleepless nights.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you all for such gracious commenting....Me

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!