Thursday, January 6, 2011

Something Worth Singing About


The best way to honor someone's legacy is to pass it on....... "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 15:12

One of the most valuable things I learned, and am still learning from my parents is that no matter what life throws at you, you just keep going, press on, never sink into defeat. You tighten the straps of your backpack and hit the trail again.You can despair for a time, but ultimately you get up and start doing what has to be done, keep the rhythm of life going. For as long as I can remember, my Mom has started the day singing. She does it a bit less now.....her days are long and she has many aches and pains, but she still gets up before everyone else. She presses on. She has always found something worth singing about. She knows the song of redemption.

Love is showing through demonstration that there is always a reason to sing because life is a gift. 

I was raised with music, singing. I was raised with people who believed that there was always something worth singing about. My Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, all of us gathered around while somebody played the piano or organ.....I can still hear their voices even now all these years later, my Grandmother's warbly soprano, my Aunt's alto harmonies, the plink-plink of my Uncle Bill's banjo. What wonderful memories those are, they weaved themselves into the fabric of my very being, they are part of who I am today.

There is something about singing that lifts the spirit when nothing else can. There is power in song. This is part of our very DNA set there by our Creator. He first put the song in our hearts and He sang the stars into existence! Ever notice that kids find it very easy to sing? It just comes naturally. But life can really stifle that song right out of you at times.....you don't have to let it. Heaven is filled with music we can scarely imagine, and when we sing in spite of how bad things may get down here, we bring part of Heaven down on earth. Turn that old music master Satan's instrument against him!

I think of the Slaves, singing out through the depths and horrors of bondage, of death all around them. I think of soldiers singing as they march into battle......I think of Paul and Silas' song in prison and Jesus and His disciples singing a hymn before they went out into the black night of sorrow. They were all thinking of the joy set before them as Jesus was......Freedom, peace, deliverance, Heaven.......

This morning I remembered all those songs. They made me sad for times past, but also encouraged me to pick up the song and sing with them. As I was pouring my coffee, The Holy Spirit breathed a little song into my heart that I had completely forgotten about and I found myself singing it on the way to work, though I had a hard time remembering the melody for the first few bars.......The lyrics say......"You are the reason I sing, You who taught all bells of Heaven to ring, I had no song just drifted along, but now You're the reason I sing......"

Yes, that redemption song. That's the best way to honor all who have gone before, and those still with me, I choose to keep singing the song of hope and never stop.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful. You are a gifted writer. This is a great post and I hope many come here and read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Clif! Glad you came by today, I just know the Lord will bring someone that needs to hear it. This blogging community is really a blessing to me! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! Makes me think of Isa 55:12....

    "For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe....yes I love that verse too, just Isaiah in general. I love the fact that the Bible describes nature itself as singing before God! Blessings to you, Lori

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!