Saturday, January 15, 2011

Just an ordinary day.......


"Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically. Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying. When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Romans 12:9-13 NKJV

The really good stuff in life is made up of ordinary days, many of them over a long period of time, like a string of beautiful pearls...or maybe I will say opals, I have always loved the fire in them. Tragedies all start with ordinary days that begin like any other. You get up, and if you are like me you have coffee right away, soon after you hit the floor.

I remember I slept in on September 11, 2001.....I was awakened by a phone conversation I heard taking place in the next room, my roommate talking with my Mom. I heart snatches of, "Yes, I am watching it now...." and "No, she is not awake yet....." I will never forget that day, the moment.....starting out like any other.

Another day many years ago started with irritability on my part, with my new husband.......I was critical, I was not kind. I remember being focused on what I wanted, not really thinking of him. It wasn't terrible, there were no raised voices, but we did end up separating and doing different things that day. I should add that we came together marvelously later that afternoon....but that is not what I remember the day he died. I remember what happened earlier.

That taught me a lesson that I have kept close. Ordinary days are anything but ordinary. They are all a gift.

So today, over that cup of coffee, catch their eye and hold it for a moment longer.....tell them you love them so they really believe it. Grab their hand as they walk by. Swing them around for an impromptu dance in the kitchen. As my best friend is fond of saying...."sometimes you just gotta give it a little dance...."

Laugh for no reason........Make the call if you are far away. Lori

photo credit: http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/ vojko kalan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lori. We need to be reminded of this every day...every ordinary day!!!!
    Andie

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!