Saturday, January 22, 2011

Say what???

"Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” Genesis 3:1

It has never been hard for me to accept the Genesis account of the fall of man. I guess because I can easily see that as good and beautiful this world is, what we had before was much, much better. Why would God make something as wonderful as bearing children so very painful, if not for the fall. I have tried to grow things and I can attest to the fact that it is toil. The Bible teaches creation itself to be under a curse. This is very easy for me to believe as well. All I have to do is look around.

I can imagine that it was so much better than this, yes. Even as good as it is. I can imagine being unhindered by time and space, by death. I can imagine colors we have never dreamed of, walking through walls, and time travel.

I have always assumed that Eve was tempted by Satan but the Bible says that it was a serpent. Well, Satan working throught the serpent. It also says that he only slithered on the ground after the fall. I think he was probably a very captivating and stunning creature, and of course extremely crafty and intelligent.

What amazes me though was that Eve didn't seem surprised that this creature talked. Can someone correct my theology here? Even if it was Satan talking through the beast, don't you think Eve would have been just a little surprised? What if your dog or cat started talking all of a sudden? Whoa......

No, if I had been Eve, I think the conversation would have been different.

The Serpent: “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

Eve: Dumbfounded that the serpent was actually talking, she ran to get Adam. "Come quick, you gotta hear this."

So was the serpent talking all along? Did all the animals talk? Was C.S. Lewis onto something?

When I think of how it must have been in Eden, my head spins. If Hollywood can create wonderful, magical worlds like Oz, Narnia, Middle-earth, and Pandora, just think what God could do. And by the way, the Bible never said it was an apple either. I think it was probably one of the most beautiful sparkling luscious things we could ever see. I think it caught the light and danced on the limbs like prisms....

photo credit: google images

2 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts Lori. I spend a lot of time reflecting on the Adam/Eve/temptation story. The Fall, free will, so much there. From what I understand the serpent was more of a Leviathan, a large threatening creature, but it all comes down to this....eat this and you will have immediate gratification. How many times do we give in to that? He placed doubt in their minds....'Did God really say that?' Doubt, a problem then, a problem now.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's that little seed of doubt that is so treacherous, everytime I look back on trouble I have caused myself the root cause can always be traced back to doubting either God's word or His character.....you are so right. Lori

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!