Friday, November 5, 2010

Slowing things down......

Our lives are frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.....Henry David Thoreau

Where did October go? One of my favorite months of the year and it was gone before I could turn around. They have started the warmup and it is working it's way to a fever pitch......It starts earlier and earlier each year. The advertisements pitching their stuff. Better stuff than last year, faster stuff, smarter stuff, more clever stuff, but stuff all the same. I have nothing against stuff, but it is the way they assault us with it that bothers me, and the fact that they use Christmas to do it. It makes me want to say......STOP! Even before it starts.

I am putting the breaks on right now. I will think, dream and pray about Advent and what it means. I will pretend I am in a cabin in the woods, alongside my stack of books and journal, watching multicolored leaves twirling outside the window. And hoping against hope for snow. Mentally I can do this. I will also not berate myself for being behind on Christmas baking. I will conciously make a decision to take pressure off, not put it on. I will look forward to the turkey and not get distracted by what comes after.

I will do some things for others.....Most of all I will enjoy these fleeting months, because they will never come again just this way. I will praise the Lord for all He has gotten us through this year, and know He will still be there at the beginning of the next.

I saw two shooting stars yesterday, ever seen two in one day?

I should finish "Radical" today so tomorrow or the next day I will post some concluding thoughts.....

1 comment:

  1. Great advice Lori - I will join you in slowing. Isn't it amazing that a season like Advent, quiet waiting, is so filled with worldy stuff? Quite a contrast. Looking forward to your comments on Radical. Great blog...thanks.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!