Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What is faith?

Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

My definition of faith: "Faith is the absolute certainty that what we believe will come to pass."

Websters definition of faith: b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

Ever tried to explain your faith to someone? It is like explaining the concept of eternity. Our finite minds just can't get a grip on it. It is a good exercise though to think about why you believe a certain way and how you came to those beliefs.  Trying to articulate it is not easy. People say, "How can you be so sure?" Here are a few reasons why I have faith in God.

God has proven Himself over and over through circumstances and changes in me and other people...He is faithful, even when I am not.

Because the Bible says so and I believe the Bible to be God's inspired word. "So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ." Romans 19:17 NLT 

Through answered prayer and miracles that can be explained no other way.

Because of everything I see in the world around me.  

The Holy Spirit within me verifies that it is true.

"When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you." John 16:13

Many people take issue with the fact that Christians seem so dogmatic in their beliefs, that we refuse to entertain the possibility that we may be wrong. The question then becomes, why would I want to devote my whole life to a belief system that I really wasn't sure of? 

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:11

If we have evidence of things not seen, that would mean that there is evidence that we can see, hear and touch. Something that is tangible. What it takes is opening up our hearts as well as our eyes.  I came to the conclusion that the odds of all of this just happening on its own were a statistical  impossibility.

And I had praying parents......

To me, this question of faith is fascinating. I found myself going down a rabbit-trail that wouldn't end. I couldn't find a place to end this post, I kept thinking of more verses, more questions. The simplest way to put it is, I once was lost but now as found, was blind but now I see!

God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. ~Martin Luther
Photo Mark Wilson, Globe Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!