Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Cup that Overflows

Ever felt like the whole earth is praising with you? Welling up and overflowing like a river that has spilled its banks; in the wellspring of your soul you echo His words, "I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." That was me yesterday. It was the victory lap at the end of the week, Saturday, my last day of the workweek. Saturdays are usually that way. I get up and there is no traffic, the annoying hum is absent and all is silent, peaceful. I could have driven to work on the fumes of praise alone....He has carried me through another week. I had myself a little victory dance in the car, and it carried me all the way through the doors. It lasted all day!

Like David, I felt my cup overflowing, the cup of praise to a God that has done everything for me, is with me at all times, and at all times, "His praise shall continually be in my mouth," no matter what I am going through, because He is worthy to be praised! David understood that.  His life wasn't easy at times, but he knew where He could find refuge and strength, and he knew how to praise God! David did his own victory dance.

"David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets." 2 Samuel 6:14

Can't you just see him dancing for joy? I understand that craziness......sometimes I want to jump up and down on a street corner and call out, "Do you know what Jesus has done for me? What He can do for you, if you just let Him?"

I used to see a man on the way to church. The locals call him "Izzy." He is somebody you can look at and one glance will easily render a judgement of "crazy." He stands on a street corner with his finger pointing up at the sky, proclaiming Jesus to anyone who will hear. My church even did a segment on him once. When he was interviewed, he came off pretty rational, but it's tough to get passed his exterior. Long beard, unkempt, pushing a shopping cart, he looks like he may have been sleeping on a bench somewhere. 

Some of what he says is not rational at all, but if you pay attention and listen for a moment you will realize the part that is rational is full of praise to God!

Sometimes I wonder, who is the crazy one? We are the ones who have received the Good News, the best news ever to reach mankind, how can we keep from shouting aloud? All of creation sings its praise to their maker. It's only natural we do the same.

Izzy does.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! Even the stones are thankful enough to shout praises to the Lord!

    Luke 19:40 (New King James Version)

    But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!