Friday, September 24, 2010

Jesus, the original people person

 "Yet the news about him spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." Luke 5: 15,16

Crowds followed Jesus everywhere He went. He was the original people person. He wasn't a people pleaser though. He wasn't afraid to say what was unpopular, but He didn't grandstand. He didn't bring up controversial subjects to draw attention to Himself, although controversy followed Him because He spoke the truth, and the truth wasn't always what they wanted to hear. But He always spoke the truth in perfect love. 

Jesus always had time for people. Maybe you feel as if you are in demand now, from your work, your friends, your family? Just try producing a few miracles and see how in demand you would feel then....remember the Calgon commercial? Take me away........I think Jesus must have felt like that because the Bible says He went often to lonely places to pray. 

People like people who are people persons, not people who are people pleasers. With people pleasers you never really know if they are just giving you lip service. If they are really going to follow through. Do they mean what they say or are they just saying what you want to hear? This is just my humble opinion, mind you. I can say this because I have been a people pleaser at times, and I don't like that about myself. I want to be more like Jesus and be a people person.

Ever been to a funeral and everyone gets up to speak and says how so and so "always had time for me." We all know those special people who, no matter what is going on in their lives, they always treat you as if you are the most important person at that moment. They don't look away, distracted by every little thing when you are pouring your heart out to them. I once knew a very special Pastor like that. People would line up out the door just to hug him. He always had time. He looked in your eyes and made you feel like you mattered....like he was so glad you waited so he could see you!

That is how Jesus was. I want to be more like that. It doesn't come naturally for me. I think I would have been well suited to the cloister with a stack of books. But God wants us to invest in the lives of people. When I go to Heaven He will not ask me how many books I read. Darn.

When I look at Jesus, I see how far I have to go.......but He is happy when I try. He is happy when He nudges me and I pay attention.

Okay I am closing my book now......
 "One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret,  with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God, he saw at the water's edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat." Luke 5:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!