Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fire in the Desert

"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. Matthew 4:1"

The desert is merciless. The sun cracks the dirt into hard baked clay, and in the winter when the sun goes down, the temperature drops alarmingly fast. Only the strongest survive. But the devil didn't count on the Holy Spirit being there with Jesus for those forty days. He couldn't lose! God's fire was with Him.

"For the first 30 years of His life, Jesus led a good "Christian" life, he went to church and made furniture, then the Holy Spirit came." Pastor Gary Kinnaman, speaking at City of Grace church this past weekend. Yes, then the Holy Spirit came and all hell broke loose. Satan was ticked! "Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through the whole countryside." Luke 4:14 The first time He got up to preach in His hometown, he made the crowd furious and they tried to throw Him off a cliff. Luke 4:28-29

No doubt about it, the Holy Spirit may get you in trouble. Look what happened to the disciples after the day of Pentecost! They went from hiding out behind locked doors to preaching on the street corners, facing off demons, and healing the sick!

Has the Holy Spirit ever led you to do something you never thought you could do? Even something that seemed to make no sense at the time? Called you out of your safe place? He will do that. Sometimes I would like God to be very predictable and manageable. I would like Him to just let me be comfortable. I love safety and comfort. But I need to remember those times when I did let go and say, "Yes, I will do that." And I do remember, He never left my side.

Lord, help me to be open to what you might ask me to do. Give me the strength to say yes and not cave in to fear. For I know You will never leave me......Has the Holy Spirit led you into the desert? If so and you need prayer, please leave a comment and I will be happy to pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!