Friday, November 13, 2009

True friendship


After years of vain familiarity, some distant gesture or unconscious behavior, which we remember, speaks to us with more emphasis than the wisest or kindest words. We are sometimes made aware of a kindness long passed, and realize that there have been times when our Friends’ thoughts of us were of so pure and lofty a character that they passed over us like the winds of heaven unnoticed; when they treated us not as what we were, but as what we aspired to be. Henry David Thoreau

It is truly an honor to have a few friends who truly see me the way I wish I were. Sometimes I take them for granted, brushing by them with a smile and wave. But each of us knows that underneath the topical layers of life lays something unspoken, something pure and true. That in times of need or crisis, or maybe joy, that something would leap to life. If I asked them to pray I know they would not hesitate to grab my hand and bow right then and there. In one magic instant my cares would become theirs.

A faithful friend is the medicine of Life. Ecclesiates 6:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!