Friday, October 2, 2009

Knowing our enemy

art Spiritual warfare by Laurie Cooper

I remember when you couldn't even say "butt" on prime time. The "B" word is commonplace now and I am still surprised and cringe when I hear it. I never want to get to the point that I no longer even hear it. Satan has been using a new tactic lately. I have noticed it more in the past couple of years or so. This is the prime-time "bleep." TV execs know they can't use the real word so they fill it in. C'mon, we know the word they're bleeping! (And so do our kids) The mind, clever thing that it is, will actually jump in and replace the word silently, so it's really the same thing as hearing it.

Last night I noticed that the usual words in a "certain program" were beeped out (a lot!) but "Jesus Christ" (not used in a praise-worthy manner) was not. I have noticed this disturbing trend in movies rated PG13 as well.

Satan is a very clever and subtle strategist. None of us should be surprised by his tactics....."in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes." 2 Cor. 2:11 He knows that if he can get us to compromise in the seemingly harmless stuff, then the rest will be easier. His aim is to get the church to look more like the rest of the world. How is he doing? When I see people slurping sippy cups of Starbucks in church, I have a problem. One time I was standing in the aisle waiting to take communion and two women behind me were talking the whole time, like they were in a movie line. Do we not know we are standing on Holy ground?

The Apostle Paul never lost sight of his enemy and neither should we. He was keenly aware of who he was fighting, but He also knew he already had the victory in Christ. But satan is real, he is here, and he has only one purpose. Jesus warns us: "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." (John 10:10-11)

Satan isn't talked about much in too many churches today, and that may prove to be a fatal error. We need to know who our enemy is and we need to know what to do to send him back where he belongs like Jesus did when he was tempted.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12

Thank you God, for giving us the final victory through Your Son!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!