Wednesday, September 16, 2009

They that wait....


I am thinking of the Holy Spirit this way today, like that eagle taking off, waiting on that branch for just the right moment; just when we need Him the most to swoop down and bear us up above the clouds.

I loved that scene in Return of the King.....Frodo and Sam are spent, collapsed on Mt. Doom, exploding fire raining down around them. Knowing they have just accomplished the impossible, but waiting for the inevitable final end when they would be enveloped by flames, not living to see the restoration of Middle Earth. And then.....the eagles. Picked off the mountain by powerful but gentle talons, that will bear them to Rivendell. I also love that Tolkien always portrayed eagles as rescuers.


Like those eagles, the Holy Spirit gently comes and takes me in His powerful but loving talons high above the chaos, letting me rest in the shadow of His wings for awhile. Catching my breath I hear air rushing through wings, feeling my body leave earth, see it rushing below. And nothing but quiet, rhythmic flight.

This morning was one of those rescue moments for me. A night of fitful sleep, plagued by worried, middle of the night thoughts, waking at 3 with full knowledge of the alarm going off at 4....Fully entertaining thoughts of calling in....just to get some sleep. Then I got up, knees hit floor first, elbows resting on unmade bed, plea of help, "just get me up, Lord." He did.....

Interesting Eagle fact: Pound for pound, an eagle's wing is stronger than the wing of an airplane.

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

1 comment:

  1. Lori -- thanks for your comments on my blog. I appreciate it very much. And I'm very grateful to be listed on your blogroll.

    I guess I'm just going through a little something...wondering if there is more I should or could be doing.

    Thanks for leaving your thoughts with me.
    have a great day.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!