Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mr. Rogers and God



"I like you just the way you are." Mr Rogers

We all remember him saying that from his long running, much lampooned children's program. Those of us with kids in the house for any length of time, that is. We saw a saccarin sweet, soft spoken guy, easy to poke fun at with his sweater and sneakers and wierd characters. But kids loved him. When he said that he loved them just the way they were, they believed him. Kids have a sixth sense about knowing who is genuine and who is not.

We all want someone to love us just as we are, but so much of our lives is spent trying to prove our worth to get that love.

"If I were a better wife, he wouldn't have left"

"If I were a better daughter, I wouldn't feel so guilty"

"If I were a better employee, they would keep me"

But God loves us exactly as we are. There is nothing we can do to make Him love us more or less. What a radical idea! Not only do I not have to clean myself up for Him to love me, there is nothing I can do to make myself presentable enough anyway. But there is One who makes intercession for us even now. I pray that you rest in His love today and His provision for your salvation! There is a little song that my niece Lauryn sings along with my Mom and it says, "God loves me, God loves me, in my Bible book it says that God loves me! Put your name in place of "me" and believe it!

We miss you Fred Rogers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!