Friday, April 8, 2011

A Very Important Conversation

"And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:2,3

I had a very important conversation the other day. It was only the second like it in eight years and that is what makes it so noteworthy. I listened with bated breath as she went on and on, speaking in fragments, excitedly as only a special needs late talking child can do. She was telling me about her day. They were saying in the background, "Just hang up whenever you want to....." But how could I? I have waited such a long time to bond with her and every word was precious. Mom said she was running to and fro showing me things......In Lauryn's world everyone has skype, we are just slow to understand it. She went on and on, telling me this and that about her babies, her Tyler and baby kitty. I understood most of it, and what I didn't didn't matter........

I cherished that conversation with "our girl" Lauryn....I love her so much. Everything she does is wonderful...every stride she makes we all celebrate. As a slow talker, every new word is cherished, every new accomplishment celebrated. Just as it should be for all of us.

In thinking back about this conversation it struck me. How much does God love to hear from me? Can I even imagine how precious my own words to Him are? Do we even know how He longs to hear just anything from us? If we only knew, I think we would talk to Him all day long. Imagine him smiling like I was smiling when I listened to Lauryn.....He does you know, and He writes it down.

Then those who feared the Lord spoke with each other, and the Lord listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and always thought about the honor of his name. Malachi 3:16

Yes, He loves our words......every non-sensical thing we say. He understands perfectly.

He is leaning out from Heaven and longs to hear about your day.....all about it!

Bonding with a special needs child is sometimes a challenge, but the rewards are tremendous! Every time she grabs my hand it thrills me, every time she leans on me, I remember it and write it down. Every time she smiles in my direction, it makes me melt. And one day when she runs into my arms I know I will fall to pieces. Every time I leave her, I cry. When I am not with her and I think of the little things she does, my heart aches.

I love her so much......but still not nearly as much as God loves me and you.

"Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise'?" Matthew 21:16

I will see you soon little Lauryn!

3 comments:

  1. What a precious recounting of your conversation with your Lauryn. I love how you related this to how God loves to hear from us. As I listen to the little children at work, I always try to remember how much God loves each one of them.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless Lauryn, bless her parents, and bless you ...

    In church yesterday, the minister spoke on relationships, and he taught how even when we humans love, and love we can, it is limited and conditional. Unlike God --- who loves us with an infinite wisdom and care of which, as humans, we can not fathom.

    Special children should teach us to love like Christ --- "Sing to Jesus... we are His own, now and forever, sing for the love our GOD has shown."

    What a great word from you this morning, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!.....I love the verse that says that their guardian angels always gaze on the Heavenly Father.....I have to look that one up, I know that I didn't quote it right. I think special needs children talk to the angels, actually I think all children do!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!