Thursday, April 14, 2011

Late for Palm Sunday

The entire city of Jerusalem was in an uproar as he entered. “Who is this?” they asked. And the crowds replied, “It’s Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.” Matthew 21:10,11

It is easy for me to imagine that I might have missed the procession coming into Jerusalem that day. I used to have a problem with lateness.

Imagine how you would feel having just missed the crowds, having just missed seeing Him. A few palm branches strewn across the road to Jerusalem are all that is left. That, and the distant sounds of a worshiping, excited crowd......a cloud of dust settling now. All you have left is a sinking feeling that you missed something or someone wonderful. Life changing. Ever been late for an important date? Job interview? Maybe your own wedding? Imagine missing Jesus.

I can remember one time many years ago a special cousin was in town asking to see me. My Dad called and asked me to come. It was important to both of them. But I thought I was too busy. At that particular time in my life, my priorities centered pretty much around me......All these years later, it still haunts me. Even after I have seen this cousin many times since. I still missed that time.

Now, even though I am rarely late for anything I still have dreams that I am frantically running somewhere, late for a class. But years ago, I was late.....for everything. That is, until one particular day I will never forget. I had made my friend late yet again for a class we were taking together. That day she said something that changed me forever. She looked at me with hurt in her eyes, and said......"You'll always be on time for what's first in your heart."

It meant something to me because she meant something to me. I finally realized my lateness was hurting her. Just like that, I decided to make a new habit......to be on-time.

Palm Sunday always catches me by surprise. It seems I look up and it's here and I say......"Wow, how did this happen, I'm not ready!"

But this is what I love about Jesus. I have a feeling that if He knew that I had wanted to see Him on that day, He would have come back just for me. Just like when He saw Zaccheus in the tree and read his heart; and then gave him his own private audience of one for dinner. And just like when He healed the lepers and one came back to thank Him. And Jesus sought him out......

Mary had to love Him so, I can imagine her saying......"That's my son the heart reader.....the heart changer.....the heart Doctor."

What Mom wouldn't be proud?

We never have to be afraid that we missed Jesus. Seek Him out today.

"His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him--though he is not far from any one of us." Acts 17:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a comment!