Monday, March 28, 2011

Prayer Request


May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

I have a special prayer request from my blog family today. My best friend Elaine is struggling under a heavy load right now. She just started a new job, which was a very good opportunity she didn't feel she could pass up, but now she is wondering if she made the right decision. She also has what feels like another full time job, taking care of her folks. She is wondering now whether she should have taken the job at all.......and also wondering how long she can do both without it adversely affecting her health, which is it already doing. Today she cut off her unemployment, and it feels final. No more safety net.

She thought she would be able to ease into her new job, but they loaded her up the first day, knowing she had experience. The prayer she needs most right now is to learn to let go. To learn how to leave work when things are unfinished. To let it all go at 5:00 and not carry it home, where the other job, the other stress  starts.

I feel helpless. I can help, but only so much. It is the internal struggle and burden she alone carries that I can do nothing about. But I know One who can. And she has prayed about it, over and over. What do you tell someone who is carrying this kind of burden and has no clue how to unload it? It is all too easy to speak platitudes: "Just give it to God...." I know she already has. I wonder why God doesn't just do a miracle inside her and fix it. I ask myself, "Doesn't He know all the things she is doing?" But I know He does. It just seems to me He is biding His time. She needs help now.

And yet, I see all He has brought us through since all this started.

And I know He has been there, and will continue to be.

The statistics of caregivers dying before the ones they are caring for are way too high. I have heard it over and over again. I don't want her to be one of those statistics. She doesn't want to be either. She has too many others who depend on her. God knows that.

Thank you in advance for praying. I breathe thanks for all He has brought us through today. And for what I have learned from this thus far:

That maybe I am more of a caretaker than I thought I was..... that I am doing things I thought I could never do......that in spite of it all, there is still joy and laughter to be had....... for extra leaning on the Lord for our strength.....for noticing beauty in the midst of quiet moments of rest......for appreciating even more the support of good friends.....for the prayers going up from dear friends and family......for extra physical strength and steady attitude.....for hope to see what God will do through this.....extra understanding for others going through the same struggle....and for the Lord who holds my friend and me in His palm......#656-667

When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong, because the LORD is the One who holds his hand. Psalm 37:24


holy experience

4 comments:

  1. Lori ~ what a wonderful friend Elaine has in you..Dear Heavenly Father we come to You now in the Name of our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus. Heavenly Father I pray for Elaine & Lori today and ask that You will renew their strength, the ones that wait upon You; that we shall mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not be weary, they will walk and will not faint. Thank You Heavenly Father that You WILL strengthen them and deliver them from indecision. Blessing them with peace and joy with Your presence...In Jesus name...Amen
    Isaiah 40:30 But those who wait on the LORD
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint.
    God Bless Lori :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for your friend, Elaine. If you don't mind... I put her name on my Prayer Wall. Even if no one else sees it - God does! And I pray over everyone on it every time I think of it.

    I am a caregiver as well. Only to my mother though. She's been with me for almost 30 years... half of that she helped watch my kids so I could work. A tremendous blessing. Now for the later half, I take care of her.

    I understand how Elaine is feeling. It's a hard thing. I was raised to do what you have to do. Period. So I will do what's necessary. But there are times I wonder why it is I who must do it. I have 3 older siblings... but it all falls to me.

    The Lord has shown me at times that I was the one WHO WAS ABLE to do it. He made me strong for this. And the trials and testing He has allowed in my life have only strengthened me more for the job. I truly believe that God won't give us more than we can bear. If He allows it in our lives, He will give us what we need to get through it... and He will NEVER leave us.

    That being said... we are human. I've had many tear-filled nights, frustrating days, and weeks of exhaustion. There are times I wonder if it will ever end. Will I make it? Am I a good caregiver? Could I be more patient? Many, many questions followed by a ton of guilt for even thinking these things. But He knows that. And He trusts me anyway.

    I pray Elaine will trust God for every step. One of my favorite verses..."Come to Me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest." And He is so faithful to His word.

    Sometimes the hardest part is letting go... finding WHAT God wants us to do... when we feel as if we need to do it ALL. At one time I told the Lord "Take it all... and only give back what is really mine to bear." What a relief that was. He knows us, He loves us, and He is with us.

    Trust Him and PRAY. Lori, we can't always fix our friends' trials or relieve their hursts... BUT... we can bring them before the One who CAN. And that's a wonderful thing to do for a friend!

    Praying for you both... and families.
    God bless.
    Mary Ann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both SO very much. What beautiful prayers, I can't wait to share them with Elaine. I just know they will encourage her greatly! With Love and Blessings, holding you up to our Father as well.....Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot tell you how many times I've ACHED from being so burdened & literally SOBBING to God, "WHY? Why won't you end this!?!" I never got an "answer", but I'm not living the blessing from what I endured. Elaine is doing just as God has called her to do in taking care of her parents. I understand this burden is troublesome. I will pray God's strength & perseverance for her, and for clarity & time management. And I will pray for you, my friend. I also know how it hurts when you can do nothing more than pray in order to help a soul sister. Hugs ~ Merana

    ReplyDelete

Make my day, leave a comment!